Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Glimpse into Another World

Every now and then, or maybe even rarely, we get to have experiences that are like glimpses into another world.  These worlds are so different than our own that we're privileged to experience them, if only for a brief moment in time.  (Of course, we also have to be open to them or they will never happen.)  I had my brief moment in another world last night.

I have been very careful in this blog to not make any references to my age or gender.  I'm not sure exactly why but I think it has something to do with being free of associations or pre-conceived ideas of who I am based on what I am.  That frees me for a time. (Granted, I realize some of my blog posts may give me away a little bit but not very often.) 

Last night I went to a party where I was one of two people of my race and the only one of my ethnicity.  There were probably 50 or so people present, gathered for a intimate evening.  My "other-ness" was obvious to me and them.  There were a few moments where that was clearly and overtly the case but it wasn't a bad feeling.  It just was.

I felt like the proverbial fly on the wall.  I got to see people at ease with each other and more open then perhaps they would be in other situations.  I wanted to play journalist and ask questions to help me understand another group's experiences but I didn't.  Instead, I just savored the moment. 

It's so cliche but being with people not like you is a way to bridge gaps.  If done on a grand scale, I see it solving big issues.  To happen on a grand scale, however, it has to start in our communities with small parties like the one I attended.  I encourage everyone to seek and be open to these opportunities.  This glimpse into another world can make all the difference in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment