Saturday, January 21, 2012

Going Blonde

This is not a post about a new hair color. Rather, I'm going blonde with my coffee selection. Blonde, Starbucks Blonde.

In the summer Starbucks announced they were introducing a new, light roast coffee. When I heard (read?) this announcement I went to the Starbucks on the ground level of the building in which I work. "I'd like to try your new blonde, please." I was told I'd have to wait for the winter. The promotion had started months before the actual availability.

Blonde became available January 10th so I checked it out. I always drink decaf but - apparently in my excitement - I forgot to ask for decaf so I got the real thing. I had a lot of hopes pinned on this blonde. Would I like it? Could I rely on Starbucks in a pinch when I wanted coffee I could tolerate?

I am not a Starbucks fan. Starbucks fans don't understand how this is possible but Starbucks brews a cup of joe that is just way to strong for me. On occasion, I bite the bullet and have one because sometimes it's the only quick cup around in certain locations. With all of this in mind I sipped the blonde - after I added my cream.

Loved the blonde. I was so happy! I can finally go to Starbucks with one of its devotees, sit there and actually enjoy a cup myself. I can even have work meetings there now!

Unbeknownst to me at the time, blonde comes in three roast styles Starbucks® Veranda Blend™, Starbucks® Willow Blend™ and Starbucks® Decaf Willow Blend™.  Darn! Which one did I have? Veranda or Willow? I have no idea. I'll have to ask the barista which one they served the first week.

Dunkin' Donuts is where I get my coffee if I don't drink the brew that's free at work. If you like Dunkin's mellow flavor you will like blonde. Unfortunately, the "official" free tasting period of blonde ended on January 14th but I bet you could sample some if you asked nicely. Heck, I even got a free mini-bag when I bought my cup. Maybe you too could make that happen.

Go ahead. Go blonde. You might even have more coffee-fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment