Friday, December 3, 2010

Bodhi

Bodhi, per Wikipedia, is "both a Pāli and Sanskrit word traditionally translated as 'enlightenment,' but frequently (and more accurately) translated as 'awakening' or 'to know'." I will take the liberty with this definition and say that Bodhi Coffee is 'to know' excellent Stumptown coffee in an 'enlightened' coffee house.

A few weeks ago when I was working on a weekend I headed down to Philadelphia's Headhouse Square section near South Street.  I didn't know until today that Headhouse Square has been a National Historic Landmark since 1966.  About 200 years prior to that, sheds were erected in 1745 in this area to allow merchants and consumers to meet.  About 55 years later, headhouses, which are fire engine houses, were built on the ends of the rows of sheds.  I learned that "each headhouse had alarm bells and a second-floor fireman's social club." 
Headhouse circa 1960's

Headhouse Today
This charming area is still lined with cobble stones and a market occurs between the headhouses.  You can get your history, your veggies and other wares, and a cup of joe in this great location for Bodhi Coffee

The reason I sought out Bodhi Coffee is because my love of Stumptown Coffee.  I haven't had any since I left New York City.  That means it's been almost 8 months.  I was way overdue.  It was a Zen moment when my chilled lips touched that hot coffee.  Goodness that I remembered immediately.  Stumptown and Philly - a beautiful combination.

When I ordered at the counter I was asked the standard, "For here or to go?"  I said, "For here."  Strangely, I was still given a paper cup with a plastic lid.  I was disappointed but not enough to mention it.

I sat in the window and watched the people walking by.  I also watched the people sitting at the two little tables outside.  They were bundled up against the cold but enjoying the late Fall sun.  I read a little bit of the complimentary Sunday newspaper and soaked in the warmth.

When it was time to go I couldn't find the trash can.  When I asked at the counter, I was told they have their own compost and they would take care of it.  I was very appreciative of that answer!  Glad they are trying to make a difference.  Too bad, I thought, they didn't give me a cup they could just wash.

If I lived in the area of Headhouse Square/Society Hill I would be a regular at Bodhi Coffee.  Alas, I'm not a resident of the area.  But I will certainly visit the coffee house whenever I am in the area...or go a little out of my way even if I am not.

According, again, to Wikipedia,
In early Buddhism, bodhi carried a meaning synonymous to nirvana, using only some different metaphors to describe the experience, which implied the extinction of raga (greed)...
The moment I had at Bodhi Coffee - my long sought Stumptown Coffee in a great, "aware" location - was a piece of nirvana.  Even though it is a business, it seems Bodhi Coffee is the antithesis of greed.  I hope it does well as it is watched by the headhouses.

Information regarding Headhouse Square from http://www.ushistory.org/tour/headhouse.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment