Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Green with Envy

I'm ambivalent about the color green but I really don't like green-with-envy-green; it's not a flattering color on anyone, especially me.  A week and one day ago today I met a young woman and her collaborators who were taking their film to the Cannes Film Festival the following day.

The event was at Galdo's catering hall in South Philadelphia.  It was the Philadelphia screening, which followed the New York City screening, of a movie called A Proper Violence.  I learned of this through a friend, whose friend's daughter was involved with the movie.  For $20, we had some hors d'œuvres and got to see the movie.  Well, if you stayed long enough you got to see the movie.

South Philadelphia is a historically Italian neighborhood, although it's less Italian and more diverse than decades passed.  It also has a reputation of being where the mob still has a presence, even past its heyday.  In fact, I was warned that there would be some "connected" people at the event, some of whom didn't care for each other.  Alas, there were no horses' heads or threats to make someone "swim with the fishes."  Well, maybe I didn't stay long enough for that.

I met a lot of people whose last names ended in a vowel - Murano, Lagambi, Giandonato, etc.  They were there to support the local girl, Joan Roman (wonder what happened to the "o" on the end of that last name?!?), who was involved with the film.  She was well-supported and obviously thrilled to have that support. 

When I got to Galdo's at 6pm, Joan greeted me warmly even though I didn't know her.  She said the movie would start around 7pm.  At 8pm it still hadn't started.  I was so tired and it was so smoky (yes,smoky because of a loophole in Philly's smoking ban) that I left.  I know, I know.  I heard it from everyone.  "It's only 8 o'clock!"  I was drained and had to go.  I never saw the movie but heard it was pretty good.

So what is being green with envy all about?  Because the hometown girl received the love and adoration of her family, friends, and community?  No.  Because she got to take a film to Cannes?  No.  Because, at 20-something, she is following a dream and not taking the conventional, safe route?  Yes.  Because while in Cannes she is living with a local family and they are cooking together, getting to know each other, and educating each other on being citizens of different countries?  Yes, Yes, YES! 

If my life were a movie, would I want to see it?  Certainly not when I'm green.

No comments:

Post a Comment