Friday, May 21, 2010

On Broadway...

Well, not that Broadway.  This Broadway is in Pitman, NJ and it is where I caught a true slice of small-town life last weekend. 

I am finishing up my last evening of dog-sitting.  (I wish I had my camera to take a picture of my favorite pup!)  I've spent several nights in Pitman and, during my stay last weekend, I took advantage of the craft fair that's depicted in the picture.  I even met the mayor!  Ha!

There were good and not-so-good crafts.  One guy, who looked like he could lead the Pagans or Hell's Angels Motorcycle gang, made beautifully artful bird houses that were integrated with pitch forks, pole-hole diggers, blocks and tackles, hooks, and other equipment.  I really wish I bought something; all his wares were so creative.  It was interesting to look at him and then see the obvious care he put in his art.  It seemed contradictory - a perfect "we mustn't judge a book by its cover" situation.

Pitman is a dry town so my partner and I walked a good distance - to the next town, which is Glassboro, and back - to get a bottle of wine for the BYOB in town.  Broadway in Pitman is experiencing a restaurant boom of sorts.  The pizza and sub shops are being replaced by "proper" restaurants.  I understand another new one is opening soon.  Because the Broadway theater is very active, it makes sense that people want the opportunity to dine before or after the show.  Some smart entrepreneurs are picking up on that.

We ate at Barcelona; it was an amazing deal.  The pre-fixe dinner was 4 courses for $14.95.  (Granted, you had to order before 6pm, but that was perfect for us as we were hungry.)  There were about a dozen entrees from which to choose.  I had a chicken dish that doesn't appear to be on the menu now and my partner had the sweet potato ravioli with sage sauce.  Both dishes were quite good.  On the way out I heard a woman raving about her short ribs.

I'll be sure to recommend Barcelona to my friend for whom I'm dog-sitting. She, too, should head up to Broadway...just not too far north over the state line.

No comments:

Post a Comment