Monday, November 22, 2010

Burgers

The place looked fun inside so we walked up to the counter, ordered, and then sat down.  The food came in record time.  But wait...the roll had blood on it...really fresh, red blood.  "Oh well," I thought, "I'll just rip it off and not eat that."  I took a few bites of the burger and showed my dining companion.  A waiter saw me doing this and came over.  I timidly mentioned that I had asked for "medium well."  He quickly took it away and promised to take care of  it.  It was a perfectly pleasant exchange.
That was my start at Bobby's Burger Palace.  Not an upsetting start, just not a smooth one.  But then the second burger came.  Yum. Wow. OMG.

I don't eat a lot of burgers but this burger was amazing.  I ordered the Napa Valley burger with goat cheese and watercress.  It was a wonderful  combination.  My burger had a nice, slightly charred and crisp outside and a juicy inside.

Bobby's Burger Palace is the child of chef and TV food personality Bobby Flay.  This West Philly location, which opened in April of this year, is one of five.  There are two locations in NJ and one each in NY and CT.  I highly recommend a visit, even if you don't eat burgers. The casual restaurant also has other sandwiches, soups and sides as well as beer, wine, and a margarita.  (While the website lists separate menus for each location, Philly's menu shows just one margarita.)  The menu items are under $10. 

If you visit the Philly location at 39th and Walnut, remember that the burgers are always prepared "medium" unless you ask otherwise.  If the burger I got was Bobby's idea of "medium," be prepared to see red...on your roll.  But know that you're getting one mighty good burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment