Sunday, October 10, 2010

Cruising the Delaware-Raritan Canal

I took my nephew to a camp in Princeton this summer and I passed by Princeton Canoe and Kayak.  I made a mental note because I love being in the water and I love kayaking, even though I haven't done it in awhile.  After kayaking this gorgeous weekend, I'm hooked again.

Princeton Canoe and Kayak has very reasonable prices - $25 for a kayak all day and I believe it was $30 for a canoe.  I would imagine the summer can be very crowded on the approximately 8 feet deep Delaware and Raritan Canal, not to mention hot.  Saturday's paddle, however, was one of those perfect days where you feel lucky to have had the experience. 

Serendipitous is a way to describe the day.  I've never paddled this canal but everything fell into place.  The canal is tree-covered in many areas in such a way as one could paddle in the shade on one side or be in the sun in the other.  Both sides were helpful at various times.  The water was very cool so it was a pleasure to see so many turtles warming themselves on the logs.  I was also able to see the Great Blue Heron that is apparently a frequent guest on the canal's edge.  We passed him silently - maybe 20 feet away - and he watched us.  After we passed, I turned back to see him flying toward us.  He landed in front of us, as if he wanted to watch us and our bright red kayaks again.  What a sight when he flew low on the water.

The silence was a treat, too.  At one point, the silence was broken by church hymns performed on what I think must have been a trumpet.  I recognized both songs from years of church as a youth.  I love hymns, and I love nature and the water - the combination of all 3 made me smile and few really lucky to have those moments.  It may sound cliche but I will remember how I felt and why I felt that way in that moment for the rest of my life.

We spent about 3 hours paddling, with a break for a picnic lunch. Those 3 hours were spent observing, hearing, and letting our minds go to places other than work.  We watched others bike or walk along the canal's edge.  We also passed a golf course and could hear the swoosh of the club and the "clink" of the club on the ball as one hole was close to the water.  For the most part, though, we were out of civilization and I pretended to be a Native American in my mind and wondered what they thought of when they were on new waterways and heard nothing but the trees rustling, the birds singing, and the occasional geese chattering as the humans floated by.  (I got that the Indians weren't on a canal!  It was just a fantasy!)

After leaving the water we took the 10-minute drive to Nassau Street in Princeton.  I heard someone mention it was a Princeton U. football game weekend and the crowds made me believe I heard correctly.  The campus is large but part of it borders Nassau Street.  We walked around for a little bit but were ravenous so we stopped at PJ's Pancake House to have the burger advertised as "the best" since 1962.  It's easy to picture a bunch of college kids at a place like PJ's.  (Apparently writing on the table in pen is acceptable.)  The place had a "down and dirty" feel, even if the restroom was spotless.  Even though our waiter had horrific body odor, the burger and fries were just what we needed after burning those calories paddling.  (The PB and J picnic didn't go too far!)

I would recommend this day's itinerary to anyone.  Princeton is not too far a drive (about an hour) from Philadelphia and many other areas.  You can kayak (or bike) the Delaware and Raritan Canal and still have other options - either roaming Princeton University's beautiful and historic campus or the college town - once you're done.  This day so inspired me that I'm already planning another paddling day for next Saturday.  I am hooked again.

No comments:

Post a Comment