Saturday, October 16, 2010

Musings

Why is it that Pennsylvania is referred to as "P-A" (that is "pee - ay")?  I find myself saying it when asked for my address.  "City and State?  Oh, it's 'my town,' P - A."  That's strange.  When I lived in New Jersey I never said "my town, N - J."  Same when I was a New York City resident; I didn't say "New York, N - Y."

Even Martha and the Vandellas sang about "P - A."  Remember the lyrics from Dancin' in the Streets?

This is an invitation
Across the nation
A chance for the folks to meet
There'll be laughin' and singin' and music swingin'
And dancin' in the streets
Philadelphia, P.A. (Philadelphia, P.A.)
Baltimore and DC now (Baltimore and DC now)
Yeah don't forget the Motor City (can't forget the Motor City)

We have all heard Washington, D.C. referred to as "D - C" as in the song.  I often say "D - C" myself.  But what is it with P-A?  Thoughts?  I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact it has a vowel on the end.  (I'm not counting the "Y" in N.Y. as a vowel in this situation.)  Maybe people from Massachusetts say I'm from "Boston, M-A" because it has a vowel on the end?  If my theory is correct than Okies do not say I'm from "Tulsa, O-K".

This is just a glimpse of where my mind wanders living here in P-A.

No comments:

Post a Comment