Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Makes me Wanna Holler

Terrorists.  Jihadists.  Words and related images that make (hopefully) the vast majority of us puzzled.  We ask ourselves:  Why do these people have so much hate?  Why can't they "live and let live"?  Why are they bent on condemning and destroying innocents?  Irony of ironies, the people who are asking these questions are probably some of the same people who are putting up signs like these.
Ah...Is that supposed to be "Exceptions"?!

This makes me C-R-A-Z-E-D.  The same people who are "Woe is me, why are the 'bad' people hurting my country?" are probably the same people spreading this hate and distrust.  Granted, the levels of these negative ways are different but they emanate from the same dark place of hate and fear.
Think about it - an immigrant has to move about society before she is proficient in English.  There are trips to the grocery store, rides on public transportation or conversations with auto mechanics, meetings with teachers, interactions at the bank, and so on...the list goes on.  Each of these interactions will bring better proficiency.  Also, I know from my own family that study of English as a second language often results in non-U.S. citizens speaking more grammatically correct than many of the U.S-born people who thrive on displaying these signs.
I know; I know.  I hear you naysayers now.  "These immigrants are here for years and don't try to or can't speak English."  AND?!?!?  Haven't terrorists and jihadists shown us the danger of such generalizations?  AND?!?!?  Is any one of us perfect or without fault?  WHY DO WE HAVE TO FEEL BETTER THAN ANOTHER? 

UGH.  I'm telling you; I can't stand the mentally of the people responsible for these signs.  But I know I must tolerate them because we must give what we want to get.  This is what separates us from extremists...both those that kill bodies and those that kill dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment